Thursday, June 2, 2011

Maydaze 2011, Brandy and Lauren's first training!

Brandy asked if she could write this post and I told her she could. I'm sure she'll be very honest in the telling of her weekend...


So, please, take everything she says with a grain of salt...

"Hey guys! I bet mom keeps telling you how well she did this weekend, but I'm sure you know when she talks about herself, she really means me. I was a rockstar. Mom did pretty good, too, I guess, since she stayed on top of me this time. It's tough, being a horse, though, because you can't read the course map, so if your owner falls off, you're out of luck. Unless you can count. Then you can read the numbers. So, you might have heard about our last Novice at Poplar Place... it was kind of a tough weekend. I was really stressed, I didn't like it very much. I had a pretty good dressage test but the judge didn't like me, so we got a bad score, which is fine, I didn't like her either. I even saluted her at the end of my test by flipping my nose up, mom giggled but the judge just stared at me. Whatever. Dressage judges just don't understand. Then we went out on XC and mom fell off in the ditch. I guess I might have caused it, but I don't really think I did... I just wanted to look at see if there were really panthers in the ditch like my friend BabyFlo said there were. We did get to do stadium, though, and even though we jumped clean, it wasn't a great round, but I think mom learned a lot. We did get to school XC afterwards, though, and mom got to jump some training questions and I learned that she actually could ride decently... I got really stressed after all that excitement though and got a really bad tummy ache. Thankfully Aunt Megan had some stuff that made me feel better, but I could tell mom was worried about me that night.

Anyway, fast forward to Maydaze. We went to the Kentucky Horse Park, I'm much happier there, plus mom put some stuff in my food that made my stomach feel good. She called it ommm..omep...omeprazole? She also insists on feeding me this soupy stuff that looks like shredded paper... I think she calls it beet poop. I guess it's not that bad if you don't look at it, but when she tries to give it me, I always think she's trying to poison me. Besides... do beets even poop? And who would feed poop to their horse anyway? Can you blame me for being skeptical?

We got there on Thursday and mom rode me. We got some rain, but it kept it a little on the cooler side, so that was nice. I had a bath and got my makeover, and was happy to settle in for the night. On Friday morning, mom braided my mane, which usually means crappy dressage is coming. Auntie Megan braided my tail again, it makes my butt look good. Well, better than normal, anyway... my butt looks pretty darn good all the time.

  It was drizzly and cool when we went to do dressage. I had a good warmup, even though I did have a little perchie-moment before they called my number. I had to run sideways for a minute to make myself feel better, but then I settled down. My favorite part was the fact that they didn't stick their finger in my mouth with that nasty glove... something about a virus going around. I did a good dressage test, mom seemed pleased and I showed off some of my new moves... the best part is the canter lengthening. I can just picture myself in full armor, running at another horse with a knight on my back and a lance at my side... and then I have to go back to the crappy dressage stuff. But its fun to dream for a minute! Here's some pictures from my dressage.

After crappy dressage was over, it was time for stadium! I had a really exciting jumping lesson the week before with Aunt Amy... mom said I was "crazy" but I was really just enthusiastic. I was pretty good in warmup, especially because mom said she "couldn't see a darn stinkin' thing." It's okay though, because I was as cool as a cucumber and was totally not worried.


Mom finally got her stuff together and had a couple good jumps and we went off into the ring. I'm not going to lie, I was brilliant. Mom seemed pretty happy with me, she may have even cried a little. I don't know why people cry when they're happy, they should save themselves the effort and just feed me carrots instead. Crying seems like a silly use of energy.
Yep. I was pretty awesome...


Lauren in, here, I want to point out that I could HEAR Brandy's front shoes clinking together as she jumped around... I knew she had to be tucking her feet up in her armpits, but I didn't think she was that tight in front! Too cute!

Can you believe her? Mom just took the keyboard right out from underneath my hooves. I was busy typing!! Heifer.

The next day, I got to run cross country! THAT is the most fun EVER. I freaking rocked that course. It was not easy, the jumps were big and sometimes they came up kind of fast, in combinations of sorts. Mom did a pretty good job of riding me down to the base and telling me where to go and then waiting with her upper body. It's a good thing, too, because there was one really wide ramp that I thought I'd make things interesting and leave out the last step. Tee-hee... I'm pretty funny when I want to be. Mom did a good job sticking with me, thank goodness!
Here's Auntie Megan laying on the ramp. She's no shorty, either! Aunt Stacy yelled at Mom and Aunt Megan, she said "You need to know the #1 rule of walking move-up and, for that matter, any other courses. Do not look too closely at the height or width or depth of the fences. Now go walk the course again following that rule." Guess they messed that one up!

The first part of the course was pretty straight forward, a couple logs and barrels, a brush jump that mom said used to be scary to her. I guess not anymore!
There was a pond in front of me here, see my ear-dar in action? Mom thought I might launch in, but I was good and stepped right down like I should.

I had a lot of fun splashing through the water and doing a little skinny brush combination.

 I was SUPER good through the ditch combination... I guess I didn't really have an option, mom seemed pretty determined. Here's the series of pictures and their captions...
Game faces: on.
"Dear Brandy, please assess the ditch coming up. Thanks, Lauren."
"Dear Lauren, I'm currently assessing the ditch coming up. Please stay on top this time. Love, Brandy."
Brandy: I'M ASSESSING THE DITCH. I ASSESS that PANTHERS are living IN THIS DITCH.
Everything else on course has been 3'3", Ma, I guess this is meant to be jumped at 3'3", too! Hang on to your britches, girlfriend!
Suddenly, this little coop doesn't seem so bad!
Well done, Miss B!
The rest of the course was great, if I do say so myself. Mom said we were really slow, but I blame her. I could have run faster, but she didn't tell to, so... tough for her. I was really happy at the end of the course, I got a nice cool shower and mom took me to graze in the best clover patch I've ever seen. That afternoon, she slathered some white goo on my legs and wrapped me up so I was comfy and cozy overnight. I had a good nights sleep, and on Sunday I just hung out all day while my friend Anna rode.

We had a fairly unadventurous ride home besides when mom's truck was weird going up a big hill. It pulled great after that, though, so I was glad. Aunt Amy said mom maybe had some water in her fuel tank and its a good thing she got a 7.3, whatever that means. I hate trucks. They're loud and smell bad, kind of like Ari.

Mom got some cute pictures from the weekend, too, since Aunt Lisa was there. I like her, she comes and visits a couple times a year and sometimes comes to horse shows with us. Here is my favorite picture of Aunt Amy and Aunt Lisa with mom... There is a slogan they like that they use as the caption for this one...
Red on right, white on left, insanity in the middle...

Oh, by the way, yes, that is a training fence... in other words, I jumped it. See? I'm awesome.

Mom also rode around on this little scooter thing for awhile. It. Was. HYSTERICAL. It was smaller than Pumpkin, so mom looked really funny on it!
Thanks to Aunt Julie for a good laugh!
Mom also got to see a lot of her friends over the weekend too, Aunt Julie and Danielle were there from Nashville, and some of her friends from college, too, Kari, Elissa, Georgine, Melissa, Jessi-Person, Mary... it was like a Murray Reunion!

Mom told me to mention that she did, in fact, reach her goal of losing 20lbs by Maydaze. I'm glad, too, it's a lot easier on me when she's skinnier! She says her next goal is 10 more lbs by Midsouth... works for me! If I have to be fit, she does too! She has to buy a new dressage coat, even, because hers is too big! If anyone wants to buy hers, it's for sale!

Oh, here are my videos, too, if you want to watch me in action!"






Overall, a great weekend for Miss Brandy and myself! I couldn't be happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment